How Can I Get Full Custody of My Child? 3 Things to Prepare For

During a divorce, “How can I get full custody of my child?” might be the most important question on your mind. Custody and child support can be stressful and contentious issues in a divorce, and knowing what you need to do can help.

Getting full custody involves two things: conservatorship and possession/access. Conservatorship refers to who makes the major decisions that impact your child. These can include choice of school, doctor, extra-curriculars, religious upbringing, and more. If your intention is to contribute to your child’s everyday life after the divorce, you may need to establish that you’re an integral part of your child’s life now.

Do you know the name of your child’s school, their teacher, and their general schedule? What about allergies? Do you know their doctor’s name and where the office is located? Are you routinely preparing your child’s meals, medication (if any), doing their laundry, and helping with homework? These are all factors the courts will look at if it’s left to them to decide conservatorship.

If you will no longer live in the family home, are you prepared for your children to live with you? Will they have a proper bedroom in a safe environment? If you intend to have your kids live with you or even sleep over, you’ll need to establish that you have a safe and child-appropriate environment for them.

Custody settlements often involve geographical restrictions, meaning you may not be able to move yourself or your child out of state after the settlement is finalized. Remember, too, that if your child is older than 12, the courts may allow them to state where they’d like to live and with whom. In some cases, children may even testify at a custody hearing. If custody is being decided via mediation, it’s a good idea to give older children an opportunity to speak as well.

If you aren’t sure how to proceed, it’s a good idea to speak to an experienced family lawyer when you have the question, “How can I get full custody of my child?” To make an appointment or arrange a consultation, call 210-504-1514 or use this contact form.

Comments are closed.