How to Get Child Custody: What to Expect

As a parent, you always want to do the right thing for your child. But what happens when you and your spouse no longer agree on what that is? When a divorce changes your family, retaining access and conservatorship of your child may be your biggest worry. Some parents can face certain challenges in getting courts to allow access and conservatorship over minor children. If you’re concerned about how to get child custody, there are a few specific steps you can take to improve your chances.

  1. Courts will want to know about your day-to-day involvement in your child’s life. You should know their school and teachers’ names, their full schedule, the names of their doctors or dentists, and any medications they take. The courts will want a clear idea of who takes care of the child’s daily needs.
  2. Avoid posting compromising photos on social media, even among friends or family. This includes content that contains alcohol or drug use, shows illegal activity, or is obscene, profane, or violent, all of which can harm your custody case.
  3. How to get child custody can depend on whether you want shared conservatorship with your ex or sole conservatorship. If you think your ex is an unfit parent, you’ll need to show evidence of that to the court.
  4. Never sign a document you don’t fully understand, don’t agree with, or haven’t read completely. Signing anything under duress or based on verbal promises is never a good idea.
  5. Divorcees often get unsolicited advice from previously divorced friends or family members. Unless they’re divorce attorneys, it’s probably best to just nod politely. If you have legal questions about how to get child custody, the ideal person to ask is your lawyer.

Hiring an experienced and dedicated family law attorney is the shortest route to getting the result you want. When you’re not sure how to get child custody, it’s time to consult with a lawyer. Jennifer Espronceda is an experienced family lawyer with a passion for helping parents navigate divorce and custody cases. Arrange an appointment using this contact form or by calling 210-504-1514.

Comments are closed.