A Guide To Child Support Modification

Child support can be a highly contentious issue both during a divorce and afterwards. Support payments for dependent children are always decided with the best interests of the child or children in mind, and consequently, the court requires a great deal of personal and financial information when deciding on conservatorship and support payments. Once everything is decided, however, changes can still occur in the future. The loss of a job or insurance, a change of residence, an accident or injury, and other factors may create a need for child support modification. This can happen via court ruling, but it is more common for a CSRP (child support review process) to occur so that both parents have input in the process.


There are some specific requirements to qualify for child support modification. If the income of the non-custodial parent has gone up or down considerably, support may be modified to reflect the change. If the non-custodial parent has gained responsibility for other dependent children, whether through marriage, adoption, or having another biological child, support may be modified as well. Modification may also be warranted if the children’s residence has changed or if they’ve lost their medical insurance, or if the non-custodial parent leaves or returns from active military duty.


Because of the numerous ways in which support amounts can be changed, the best way to come to a new support agreement is for custodial and non-custodial parents to work together to learn the facts about their situation. The next step is to speak with a family law professional. Laws governing marriage, divorce, and support payments are complicated, and it is helpful to have a strong and knowledgeable advocate on your side, particularly if both parents are unable to come together amicably. An experienced family law attorney can help you understand the process and how to get your information in order so that you get the results you want for you and your children. If you need assistance with a child support modification case, contact Espronceda Law today.


Comments are closed.