Do You Pay Child Support With Joint Custody? Are You Supposed To?

If you are divorced, you no doubt have some idea of the laws regarding custody and support payments. Maybe you’ve been ordered to pay support payments even though your child spends equal time between your home and your ex’s. How do you know whether you’re paying the right amount? When you have doubts about how child support with joint custody works, your first call should be to your divorce attorney.

What if you didn’t use an attorney for your divorce? Or what if you did a collaborative divorce, so one lawyer mediated, but they don’t technically represent you? If you think child support payments should be modified or even stopped, you’ll definitely want your own lawyer. In cases dealing in child support with joint custody, an experienced family law attorney is your most valuable asset.

There are different types of parenting designations made after a couple divorces. Even when both parents are involved in the child’s day-to-day life, only one may have conservatorship (the right to make significant choices that impact the child). When one parent has possession and access (commonly called custody), the other parent usually makes support payments to the custodial spouse. If the couple shares joint custody, the spouse with the higher income may make payments to the less affluent parent.

Like any other matter involving divorce and children, Texas laws regarding child support with joint custody are interpreted with the best interests of the child in mind. Child support payments are not the forum with which to punish or inconvenience an ex.

Not sure whether you should be making child support payments? An attorney can help. Think your ex should be paying more than they are? A family lawyer can advise you on this as well. Helping your children grow and thrive isn’t easy, but having the financial support you need can make a world of difference.

Still have questions about how child support with joint custody works? That’s okay. To arrange a consultation with an experienced family law attorney, use our contact form or call 210-504-1514.

Comments are closed.