Understanding Enforcement Of Orders

Once you’ve gone through a divorce, you may be relieved that the difficult part is over and that all the papers are filed, the court appearances are over, and you are able to move forward with your life. But if your former spouse refuses to follow the orders and conditions set forth by the courts, won’t pay the required spousal maintenance or child support, or won’t let you see your children in accordance with the agreed upon conservatorship, this can make the aftermath just as difficult as the divorce itself. If you are in such a situation, remember that you have rights and that an experienced family law attorney can help you legally make your former spouse abide by the agreement outlined in court by means of an enforcement of orders.

An enforcement of orders typically begins with a finding of contempt, which happens when a clear and specific court order is not followed. If a court order is too ambiguous to be grounds for contempt, your attorney can help clarify the court orders so that everyone has a clear understanding of what is expected. If your former spouse continues to disregard the court order, the judge will order a fine to dissuade them from continuing with the behavior, and in some cases they will order jail time as well, although judges usually try to avoid this method of enforcement. Your attorney can help you explain your side to the judge and ensure that the enforcement of orders is handled in a timely and effective way.

Legal cases surrounding enforcement of orders can be trying for those involved, but keep in mind that judges don’t like it when their orders are not followed. Your attorney can help the judge understand the hardship caused by their orders not being followed, which may compel your former spouse to meet their obligations in a more timely and consistent way. Contact Espronceda Law today to speak with an attorney experienced in family law who can explain the process and ensure that the court’s orders are followed.


Comments are closed.